Spring's bustin' out all over!

Yesterday, the sunny weather was just cajoling me to come outside and join it in all its gloriousness, so I went for a walk in my neighborhood. And I could tell that spring is nearby (in my neck of the California woods, anyway). I could smell it in the flowers I was breathing in, in the scent of the ground, even. It was palpable to all, as there were many seniors out there, too, basking with their walkers and whiplash collars on, needing to be outside.

Spring kind of...well...does something to me. I kind of get a little bit high from smelling the flowers and plants waking up, and feeling the sun warm on my skin. It’s like Anne in “Anne of Green Gables”, if you’ve ever read those books; the earth slowly coming to life made her delirious, ecstatic. When I read that, years ago, I realized that it does the same thing to me. It wasn’t over-identification with a character. I really did experience it. As do most of us, if only for the relief in the freezing cold temperatures having been endured for months (I’m so sorry for everyone living in snow country, for the beating you’ve all been taking this winter!! Much suck-age, that is!). But the plants! The flowers! The incredible smell of living things! High, people!!

Recently I’ve been kind of battered, doing a lot of work and no art, feeling exhausted and headache-y and unprofessional and sorry for myself...wah, wah, waaaah. But yesterday, I called and left a message for a potential client, relieving the unprofessional part. And I wrote in my journal, got it all out of my system (the equivalent of a good cry), went for that excellent walk, got some paint at the art supply store and laid in for the day. I was going to paint outside in my courtyard, but it had gotten a tad windy, and I didn’t want my paint-soaked rags getting blown down to the laundry room, so I just opened my windows to smell that gorgeous air, instead. And I painted this portrait of a lady I’ve had in my head the last two days. She just showed up, unannounced, and said, “Paint me”. Having no appointments ahead of her, I did. And she is coming out fantastically, my friends.

So between the sun, the writing and the painting, I do believe I’m feeling a little bit ecstatic.


People. Go outside. Feel the love.

Comments

alanna_b said…
i don't know why in the world i haven't thought to ask you -

i'm taking an oil painting class at school, and we were given a list of different paints and brushes and misc. supplies to buy, and i am having such a hard time finding someplace to buy them cheap. i mean, i know they'll never be as cheap as i'd like them to be, but there's gotta be something cheaper than aaron bros. in santa clarita! >;P alas, the car's down again, which doesn't make anything easier to buy.

that said, do you have any recomendations for a place where i can find cheap paint? =D

and i agree...the weather is just fabulous. and the days are getting longer (which i love love love)!

Popular Posts