On the Down Low

Last night, I got home to find I had a package waiting for me. Unlike most times that happens, I knew exactly what it was. It was what I had been (im)patiently waiting for: my Down Low Glow light.

Rock the Bike is a company in San Francisco that makes the Down Low Glow bike lights. They are battery-powered, colored glowsticks for your nighttime bike rides. And they are THE COOLEST THINGS EVER. I got my front and rear blinky lights from my local bike shop on Saturday, but I was waiting. Waiting for my Down Low Glow to take my first night cruise. And last night, I did it.

Oh, my! It was anything BUT down low! I chose Ice Blue as my color, and the pretty blue light was so very impressive to gaze upon...I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road, so giddily enthralled was I with my light as I rode. Maturity eventually kicked in, and I kept it together. At first I was on the sidewalks, and then I said, fuck it, this is why I have the light, so cars SEE me! There weren't many cars anyway, since it was after 10:00 on a school night. I took it to the street. I nearly had the streets to myself, exploring. The moon was 75 cents full. I just had on a tank top and shorts (and my helmet), and the air was cool, but felt incredible! I felt like I was flying on a UFO, powered by me! It was magic, my dears, pure & absolute magic...

I have not seen any Down Low Glo lights in L.A. yet, just blinkies, but I've seen websites for night rider groups around town, and they MUST have them. Guess I'll have to go research that, personally...

And spread the example by letting as many people see it as possible. Naturally.

Comments

Songbird said…
That's so AWESOME, G!! I think every biker needs one of those. Your description reminded me of how awesome I feel driving at night but on a bike it'd be even better!! You can feel the night air on your body and your getting exercise, oh the adrenaline! I have to try that!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Tess
Gina said…
It's unbelievable!! We'll have to go on night rides on the bike path!! You'll be addicted. We'll get you ALL hooked up...

Popular Posts