November 4, 2008

Today Senator Barack Obama was elected president—the first African-American president of the United States. We have made history, lovelies!! This in itself is a huge, HUGE victory. ENORMOUS!! Someone other than a white male (an entirely white male, that is, as Obama is half white) has been elected to the highest office we have. This means we are looking at the man, at his qualifications, and not at the color of his skin, as the determining factor as to whether he can do the job. This, therefore, means we are evolving.

But as gigantic a step as this is, beyond it...as he was making his acceptance speech, he spoke of all Americans coming together to fix the problems we’re facing, about how he’s going to be EVERYONE’S president, not just for those who supported him, about how democracy is still alive and well and by god, “Yes, WE CAN.” It was during these words that I began to feel again.

For so long, I’ve not felt anything when it came to government. In fact, I’d go so far as to say I mistrust it. I grew up in the era of the public dawning of the unraveling of the system: post-Kennedy, during Watergate, the Iran Contras, etc. I grew up knowing full well that government was not the sterling pillar that my parents and grandparents had believed it to be, that corruption was inherently part of the whole system. When it comes to politics, I am a cynical Gen X-er. During the last eight years alone, the idea of the government, and what it represented, absolutely sickened me. I have never felt so polarized from Americans who believe differently than I do than during these last eight years. I don’t like this gap. While it never has been just friendly disagreement, it has become truly savage. This vicious in-fighting between humanist liberals and the religious conservatives eats at one’s soul. Many of ours have withered under the Bush Administration.

But Obama spoke about repairing relations (both with the world and between factions here), about working together--non-partisan--as simply Americans trying to make things right again, to fix the brokenness of America. And I realized, my god, that’s what I want, too. I really do. I’m so sick of feeling antagonism between left and right. I want to close the rift that’s come between us. I want the parties to give up their rabid hatred of what the other stands for. I want us to let go of this all-or-nothing, party line, if-you’re-not-for-us-you’re-against-America mentality. I don’t think I’m being naïve—it CAN be done. Not all at once, magically. But with work, we can individually overthrow these knee-jerk reactions. Let’s all grow up and make good, sound decisions for the good of ALL of us. Because while we’re occupied with fighting each other, a lesser civil war, we accomplish NOTHING.

Obama wants to get to work. He is eloquent with his sincerity. He BELIEVES we can do this together. It made me believe that we can, too.

That’s why I am RELIEVED that we made him our president.

Comments

arty_mom said…
AMEN SISTER!
I've felt that same damper on the spirit since the day Bush II was sworn in.

Its a new day!
Songbird said…
The American people also make that climate, not just the president. You're asking for alot of change. I hope he and the American people live up to your expectations. Why couldn't people try to change their behavior and hatred no matter who is in office? As far as economics, I hope he knows what he's doing. Time will tell. Not that the Bush administration has done it right but really, the people didn't need a new president to stop the hatred.
Gina said…
Tess~

Of course we are all responsible for ourselves and our thoughts, ultimately, but it's a bit harder to do when the media and popular opinion are being whipped into a frenzy by certain factions in power. When it's purposely designed to be that way by spin doctors who work for those factions, in order to split groups into "us" a and "them" and create distrust and fear. And then people begin thinking and acting like that for real. There's a reason it's called "divide and conquer".

I happen to think the office of the president should be above intentionally using such tactics. I would like my president to be a moral person, because he is representing me when dealing with the world.

It takes enlightenment to quiet that noise and see past it. We can still descend to mob mentality pretty quickly, after all. It's a long road to enlightenment. Doesn't mean we should give up halfway through, but it is a long road. It's just easier without the noise.
Songbird said…
Good morals are hard to find in politics and the presidency is under way too much pressure to unite such divided people when people themselves do not want to change. This is how the two party system has served us. It is so black and white and our world so gray that I stood staring at my ballot at a complete loss. I will say this. I am happy about the election results because I believe there are alot of people out there who feel like you and that will cause our country's morale to be lifted. Anytime there is good morale, we are in a better place than people living in fear and hatred. As for the rest, the results remain to be seen.
Gina said…
I agree--realistically, people are way too diverse to be united under a single party. In fact, more than two valid ones would be nice since we can't all be pigeon-holed into this OR that.

But the Republican party has morphed into a theocracy--this is not the Republican party of the Reagan years that I remember (of course, I was young, but I don't remember having fanatic religion be PART of its identity like it is now--older folks might beg to differ...). I know Republicans who are atheists or agnostics who can no longer relate. America was founded on separation of church and state. I don't know if the fanaticism has caused the divisive tactics or not, but it is awfully suspicious that they have come about simultaneously...

Popular Posts