Blog Facelift

So...you might have noticed a few changes around here. We've painted and put up curtains, hung some artwork.

Since the social networking interfaces are slowly becoming more and more homogenized, I've been learning how to incorporate those changes in my social networking arenas, but with a bit of my own Gina taste.

And since theater is becoming more and more a recurring motif in my art--the curtains. This is where I perform, for myself, mostly, but I do hope you audience members like it, too. I am learning Illustrator's capabilities better and made the 'Bring Beauty Back' image, sharpening my skills. That just popped in my head yesterday, so I thought it'd make a fitting catch phrase.

It's really something I believe in strongly. Back in the day, craftsmen would make furniture, buildings and everyday items in an aesthetically-pleasing style. Borders, filigree, curlicues, stripes, checkerboard patterns--all just for decorative purposes. They've kind of stopped doing that, for the most part, because it's not cost-effective. But I say, find a way to return to beauty. If manufacturers won't do it, then do it yourself: paint it, sticker it, collage it, write & draw on it with Sharpie. Make it something you like to look at. Sometimes--much of the time--life is mundane. We can either resist it, accept it, or transform it. I vote for C). Well, B) and C). I'm Zen-aspirational, you know. But I believe in making our environs someplace where we want to hang out. For me, that's making everything art. Even a stapler--you can put racing stripes on a stapler and make it cool-looking. It's inspired me to open a Cafe Press store, where I'll be putting up everyday items with my designs/catch phrases on them (Big thank you to my friends who have encouraged this endeavor!).

As my web skills get stronger, I'll probably be making more complex changes to the blog, too. But for now, I'm digging it. I like this room just fine.

Comments

Jen said…
People remark that my office is so "lively" and are amazed that I've actually hung so much stuff up in it. Who *wants* to look at beige walls all day? Blech! Hooray for beauty! Or whimsy! Or both!

Popular Posts