Arting

I’ve been feeling the urge to draw faces of people I know.  And so I’ve been following that urge.  I’ve drawn Jen (my former metamour) and Martin (my partner), so far.  Just pencil on paper, detailed faces and hair, and just suggested lines for clothing. 

 

There is such satisfaction in finding, and then reproducing, the lines and forms of the head.  And then adding the values to bring the face to life.  In capturing the person’s likeness so vividly.  It’s like solving a problem.  And when I’m successful, and it looks exactly like the person?  Oh, sweet victory, kids!  I feel like I’ve turned a corner this year--I’ve done five portraits since the summer, and it feels like it’s getting easier to find the person’s essence.  It’s nearly effortless.  I’ve been drawing for 40-something years, so I should be somewhat accomplished by now.  I’ve done well over 10,000 hours. 

 

To wit...


 


I love the texture that the paper gives the drawings.  It has tooth.  And I never use a stump or my finger to blend--I don’t like blending.  It’s too much like airbrushing, way too smooth.  I’d rather it have a texture, either by the surface of what I’m drawing on, or by making a texture in my mark-making.  Texture makes things appear asymmetrical, which is much more interesting to my eye. 

 

Art saves, kids.  








Comments

Popular Posts