"It's the most wonderful time of the yeeeear..."

Tonight, the annual installation and trimming of the evergreen tree...






















Why, yes, it is 4 feet tall and fake. Hey, pipe down over there...You'll hurt its little prickly, green feelings. Holidays for the single chick--that's all the tree you really need. It's been awhile since I took such joy in getting ready for Christmas. I couldn't feel the magic for a long, long while. I was numb to it, due to certain situations in my life, which shall remain nameless. But now, I'm taking back Christmas, dammit. Mom always made a big deal of the holidays growing up, so I learned to look forward to the decorating, the special holiday dishes, the desserts, the dressing up, the wrapping of presents, the giving and the getting. Lately, I've even found that I've actually been getting into the sport of Christmas shopping. I have! I go long, and by the time I'm ready to go home, I'm all in the spirit and feeling happy! And good thing we've gotten a cold snap come into L.A.--you can't Christmas shop in 70-degree weather. It's a crime against nature. Says the New England native who hasn't actually seen snow in 20 years...

So now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go indulge in another of my favorite Christmas traditions: laying under the lighted tree in a darkened room and staring up at all the pretty colors...

Comments

Libbycookie said…
Oh, hurray! I have had Christmas songs in my head for weeks now, including the refrain: "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." which is hysterical when you live in So. Cal & it pretty much looks the same all the time. Your tree is great - maybe I'll get one too... Love the holiday season, minus the rabid advertising & stampede shopping.
alanna_b said…
i lean more on the humbug side, especially when it comes to shopping and muzak, but my tree's up to, and adorable like yours. ;) i think my favorite christmas rituals are those that were around long before christ. yay for the winter solstice festival! ;D

Popular Posts