Birthday Week

Birthday Week began with the art show, which was a fantastic way to kick it off. Then hang gliding.

Then Vegas, for two days to visit my folks. We had a cake to celebrate my birthday while my sister and I were there—chocolate with chocolate frosting, naturally. They gave me a card and some mad money—very sweet of them. It was a very musical visit. In the car when we ran our errands, they played The Eurythmics and I sang as we rode. Tess brought a stereo system that she wasn’t using for my folks to keep, and we played Bobby Darin and Elvis...and I danced. They have a huge living room area with lots of floor space, and I was just so moved to dance that I did. Now, it’s not like me to dance and sing so freely in front of my folks. I’ve always been kind of shy performing around them. But now that it’s coming out of me, in my regular life, it’s coming out of me no matter who I’m around. And my folks did some singing and my mom did some dancing of her own, and so maybe my being open about my musical self-expression kind of inspired them a bit, too. Which they can use. It’s kind of a healing thing for us all to be more open.

Saturday the 28th was my actual birthday, and I spent it with Tess, Tim & Quinn. We had lunch at a new place called Chipotle Grill, and then went down to Channel Islands Harbor in Ventura. It was cloudy, but we hung out on the beach for awhile, with Quinn & Tim playing in the sand and Tess and I taking pictures. It got too cold after awhile, so we went walking along the harbor. We got ice cream at Coastal Cones. We went into the hat shop where I bought a grey trilby, the kind I’ve been searching for forever, and Quinn tried on all kinds of funny kid hats. Then Quinn and I went on the carousel. We hung out at the arcade for awhile. Quinn and I had our pictures taken in the photo booth there (my first time, something I’ve wanted to do for years—and it totally reminded me of “Amelie”!). Tim and Quinn played air hockey, and Quinn played other games. They cashed in his tickets and he picked out little toys. Then we called it a day and drove home, all of us being kind of tired from being outside all day.

I had wanted to go to a drumming circle that night, but it turns out that the place I usually go to, Yoruba House, wasn’t having one. So I picked up Claudia and we just hung out at my place. She gave me some beautiful lavender pearls and two vintage dresses, one yellow-and-white and one black with a white lace collar and sleeves. It was fabulous to drink chai tea, listen to Al Jolson, and catch up.

A very lovely Birthday Week, indeed.
















































































































Comments

alanna_b said…
yay birthday girl! =D

and hangliding sounds soooooo coooooool. it's one of those things i've always wanted to do too. one more thing to save up for!

just wanted to check in and catch up and give a big hello. give me a call when you have a moment - aside from getting started with my new yob, i am free and rather bored. ;P
Gina said…
Hang gliding IS the coolest thing ever...I know someone whose birthday is coming up later this year...(:

I shall definitely call you--let the tutoring and the hanging out commence!

BTW--I picked out a pic from our session to draw and paint. I'm going to vary it slightly. It's gonna be purrrty. (:

Popular Posts