A virgin no more, Part I

April 20th to 27th, 2007:
I had a show! My first, real, authentic, gen-yoo-ine art show! Due to my new friend Paul generously inviting me to exhibit, I added three of my pieces to the mix in a group show at Sponto Gallery in Venice. This week is Fools’ Fest. It kicked off with the artists’ reception last Friday night, and each night there is a different kind of performance at the gallery, surrounded by the artwork: music, comedy, poetry, film. There’s a closing party on this coming Friday, and then we get to take our unsold art home at the end of the night.

I put the paintings up the day before the show, meeting all of the gallery folk and other artists for the first time. They were so warm, helping me to put up my pieces and title cards, saying how much they liked them. Everyone was so NICE.

The night of the show, I was only minimally nervous. I knew I’d be talking to people I had just met—for FOUR HOURS. I’m a novice at networking, so the idea was ever-so-slightly nerve-wracking. But I used my old friend Davor’s “Party Theory”, which goes a little something like this: most people like to talk about themselves, so just ask the people that you meet questions about themselves; they’ll be only too happy to answer, and the conversation will organically flow on its own. Works every time. A little cabernet doesn’t hurt. I brought my glass with me as I successfully chatted people up. People complimented my art, I complimented theirs. I got to know people better. It was fun to be successful at conversing, fun getting to know people.

Baby O' Mine























Crawling Towards Babylon



















Bones

















And then Paul was there, and Suzy was there, and suddenly Suzy was bringing Corey in the room to see me. I showed him all of my pieces, on the wall, close up, with title cards—he was very pleased to see them up in a gallery. I introduced Corey to people we came across during the rounds, and we also successfully chatted people up. The gallery was getting quite crowded, and then when I looked up, there were Claudia & David, arriving. It took a few minutes for them to navigate the room, but then I was hugging and showing them the paintings, too.

Paul and John
















David, Claudia, me, & Corey


Soon after, the show concluded and Corey, Claudia, David and I went to have a post-show meal at Norm’s (it was open, it was close by). We had a blast, laughing, singing, getting gumballs from the Mousetrap gumball machine in the lobby.

As far as I know, I haven’t sold any of my paintings, but right now, the thrill is in the opportunity! Selling would be just proverbial icing on the cake. I’m ever-so-grateful to be exhibiting.

Update: I didn’t end up selling any paintings, but they want me to come back and exhibit again, in a group show, and also with a solo show. That means a lotta buckling down and producing, but I can do it. I’m just so grateful for the opportunity. Seriously.

Comments

Popular Posts