Oh, what a lovely day for a bike ride!!

Yesterday I went on a long-ass, monster bike ride. It was about 2 hours of straight pedaling, maybe 10 or so miles. Mark and I found a path going through Griffith Park, and then it went over the freeway, parallel to the 5, alongside the L.A. River. I was surprised: there was a lot more water in it than I'm used to seeing, as in other parts of the L.A. River. Sadly, there was a strong chemical smell coming from it, and when we saw fish in it trying to swim upriver (salmon?), we were amazed that anything could live in that water. So we're healthy from the exercise, but now we'll have cancer cells showing up...AWESOME!!!

But the route was fantastic! Griffith Park was lovely to ride through, with all the trees bending down to say 'hi!'. The weather was perfect bike-riding weather--sunny, gently warm, breezy. The bike path part was sparsely populated so we could ride for long stretches side by side and talk. It went all the way down to Silverlake. I learned how to shift into "cruising gear" once I got up to cruising speed. There were some found objects along the side of the path, including a big piece of plum taffeta, but I was afraid to touch anything, not knowing where it had been, who it had been with, and not having tongs on me to pick it up with, so I left it alone.

I may have slightly overdone it on the exercise, and not had enough protein to fortify the old muscles beforehand, because I was feeling a little light-headed and nauseous afterwards. But once I ate and re-hydrated, I was allright. Feeling very light indeed!! One day, I'll just be a little apparition wandering around old buildings built in the '20's and '30's, and when I feel bold, riding my bike through the halls...

Comments

Songbird said…
That sounds like a great ride! Ass kicking exercise AND you enjoyed the experience of your company, surrounding sights and sounds and feelings. Very cool! Good for you!! :)

Popular Posts