Maiden voyage

After 8 years of reading other people’s online journals, I have decided to finally do the deed...I blog! I’ve kept an old-fashioned paper journal for over half my life (after being inspired by the book Go Ask Alice when I was 13), but never forayed into that new-fangled online journaling before because... well...I’m an Internet-diot. I know how to surf, how to shop, how to research, how to post on message boards, how to lurk (oh, I’m a lurker-par-excellence!). But I still have yet to learn to create my own website. And I consider myself a graphic artist! I know, I know...having working knowledge of PhotoShop, Illustrator and Quark does not a graphic artist make. Well, this, you lucky people, is going to be my training ground! Ha- HA!!

So, as to the name. Why "Sheer Mabness", as opposed to "Sheer Madness", you ask? Mab is the Queen of Faeries. Shakespeare writes about her in Romeo and Juliet. There are other literary/mythological references to her, as well, but the most famous allusion is in Romeo and Juliet. In it, Mercutio states that she basically brings dreams to humans—sometimes lovely, and sometimes frightful. She also likes to mess up hair and braid horse’s manes in the middle of the night. She’s benevolent and mischievous at the same time. A friend of mine once called me that, and I took a fancy to it. I like the idea of being “good” and “bad” at the same time. ‘Cause let’s be honest—we all have those aspects. None of us is either ALL good or ALL bad. That’s dualistic thinking, and I won’t have it! At least not in MY brain. We have moments of being both. Plus, things that have historically been considered “scandalous” we would now say are just the following of one’s impulses, like sex and drinking and wearing red shoes.

At what point, exactly, did this turn into a rant? Okay, slowly...slowly now...step AWAY from the soapbox...

Comments

Gina said…
Thanks!! This is my first offical reply to a comment on a blog! Ah, question answered...doesn't that feel good?? Keep checking back!
Torie said…
Oooo... finally an in-depth look into the mind of You. This should be fascinating, interesting and perhaps a bit scandalous (OK, that may just be me hoping for the scandalous part!) This is so very cool that you are doing this. I will definitely check back often!
Gina said…
I look forward to having you all live vicariously through me...
Gina said…
ML...you have a blog, too? I wanna see stuff! Added in the COPIOUS amount of spare time you have, of course...Hope you write some more there in the future! I'd love to read it.
Gina said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Martin said…
The start of a beautiful thing. I am so honored that you were one of the people who suggested I blog as well. And here it is, almost 6 years later and it's still going.

Thank you for showing us so much of you.

Popular Posts