Silly rabbit! Easter is for kids

If you don’t have kids and aren’t Christian (me! me!), I’m thinkin’ Easter really doesn’t mean a whole hill o’ beans, as holidays go. If you don’t celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and if you have no kids to give tons of chocolate to, courtesy of an imaginary 6’ tall rodent (Harvey!), then what’s the point of Easter? I suppose the original pagan holiday of Eostre, marking the spring equinox, would be a good enough reason to break out the bonnets and seersucker suits, but who among us is really that in touch with the seasons anymore? And in California, we usually don’t have cold enough weather to be counting the days until the warmer weather gets here (although this year we have been privy to a mighty irregular cold snap), so it’s not like a huge celebration is in order, like our ancestors in more wintry climes used to look forward to. Fertility? Looking around at our increasingly narrow elbow room in the world, I don’t think we’re having a problem with fertility—there’s people a-plenty in the world. So I’m not exactly whooping with joy when Easter comes. I guess for me the simplest and most valuable thing it can mean is getting together with family, and spoiling the nephew with an Easter basket that Harvey “left at my house for him”, which is always good.

Which is exactly (eggs-actly!) what I did. My brother-in-law Tim’s family invited me along for Easter dinner, too, and they’re just the nicest people on Earth, so I was glad to go and spend quality time with them. Had a lovely potluck dinner, including ham, potatoes au gratin, green beans, turnips & carrots, salad, rolls, and cute little Easter egg decorated cakes. The funniest thing: when my two-year-old nephew got his cake placed in front of him, he said, “Where’s the candle?” He’d just had a birthday last month, along with his brothers and some of his classmates, and so he just thought cake naturally meant candles to blow out. So Tim’s mom got a candle and lit it, and we sang “Happy Easter to You”. Classic kid moment! I’m not usually one for cute kid moments, but it’s my nephew, so of course I’m all into everything he does! Oh, I have diatribes to write about my little Q. All in good time, my pretties, all in good time...bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Comments

Gina said…
It WAS quite cute! I wish I'd had my digital camera on me at that moment! Gah! Speaking as one of those people who doesn't have kids, can I have some? (:

Popular Posts