Dancing is so...harder than it looks

So tonight was my second dance class. We added to our routine. Let me just say that I am way too much in my head. I am so counting the number of steps I take and making sure I watch Laura, the instructor, and making sure I raise my right arm when my right foot steps forward, that I haven’t allowed my body to learn the steps in its own sense memory kinda way. I was TOTALLY left-brained tonight. Well, it’s a bad habit. I’ve spent most of my life treating my body as a car for me to get around in, and not as myself. But the good news is that when I looked away from Laura and started to look straight ahead and did the routine, I was BETTER. So it IS starting to sink into my cells. So as it does, I’ll feel my sexy kick in. Laura said that when Jack Cole, who invented jazz dance, would get up onstage and dance, it was said that he moved like a cat. You never see an insecure cat.

So I aspire to be cat-like, y’all. Me-fucking-ow.

Comments

alanna_b said…
it's so hard to learn to get out of your head if the world's already forced you to get in it. don't be too hard on yourself - it'll take a while. (i'm guessing it'll take me the rest of my life. ;) )
Gina said…
You're so right. Since birth, we were expected to be thinkers, doing well in school, solving problems, balancing checkbooks, all of which are noble activities. But they don't help you dance. To learn to dance and meditate and act and do more things automatically, helps to escape linear thinking for awhile. I think it will help me to free up my emotional self, too, which'll be good for me.

But only through doing it over and over again will I learn how it feels, and then over time it will be automatic. Just have to fight that stupid instinct that says, "wah! it didn't come easy, so I'm no good at it, so I'll quit it--wah!" That is complete silliness on my ego's part! Enough of THAT! (:

Popular Posts